January 5, 2011

Look What I Found

I went to my local used bookstore the other day and couldn't believe what I found, the book that would become my sewing bible.  It is a Singer Sewing Book from 1972.  There are 500 pages of sewing goodness.  I can't believe how detailed this book is and it is extremely more useful than my 7th grade home economics education that my sewing has been coasting on...and what I have picked up from tutorials on the internet.


The chapters are set up easily and very detailed.  I was surprised when it even covered curtains, slipcovers and bedspreads. 
  • A place to sew
  • Your sewing machine
  • What you should know about color and fabric
  • Beginning to sew
  • Pattern Preliminaries
  • Fitting the pattern to your figure
  • Laying out pattern and cutting
  • Assembling your work
  • Pressing as you sew
  • Fitting as you sew
  • Seams, seams, seams
  • Underlining and lining
  • Darts, tucks and gathers
  • Buttonholes without tears
  • Pick a pretty pocket
  • Neckline finishes
  • Waistline joinings and waistbands
  • Sleeve styles and finishes
  • Homeward bound: zippers, hems, belts and buttons
  • Pleats and godets
  • Fabrics that require special handling
  • Hand sewing - plain and fancy
  • Decorative touches
  • Zig-zag sewing
  • Using your machine accessories
  • Sewing for children
  • Tips on mending
  • Graduate to tailoring
  • Introduction to home decorating
  • A look at your windows
  • Success with curtains
  • Set the stage with draperies
  • Top it off with a valance or cornice
  • Brighten your room with slipcovers
  • Make your own bedspreads
  • The many faces of knits
  • Glossary of sewing terms
  • Index
Can you believe how much it covers?!?!?  The best part, I paid less than a dollar for this book!  I am going back again this week to see what else I can possibly find.  Who knows, maybe I can find the quilting counterpart to this book.  Check out your local used book store and see what treasure you can find.

I will leave you with a few snapshots of some pages from the book that will teach me so much!



1 comment:

  1. Individuals who require additional time could devote considerable time working through activities till they comprehend them, while pupils who require lesser assistance could proceed. It also liberates the educators to assist students who require further assistance personally. Different technologies and services, such as Law assignment writing, have sensibly boosted online learning.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...